- Ratings from 50VA to 10,000VA
- Three standard voltage groups:
- 50/60 Hz frequency
- Encapsulated core & coils in a combination silica sand and resin compound
- Designed with a heavy duty NEMA Type 3R enclosure
- Insulation system: 115°C rise
- ANSI C57.12.01
- Single & three phase configurations available
- UL listed & CSA certified
MGM provides buck-boost transformers as a simple and economical way to correct off-standard voltages from 95 to 500 volts, single and three-phase, in sizes up to 25 kVA. When the supply voltage is constantly too high or too low, (usually more than 55%), the equipment fails to operate at maximum efficiency. Buck Boosts are most commonly used for 240V equipment in a facility with 208V service or vice versa.
WHEN IS CORRECT VOLTAGE CRITICAL?
With nearly two-thirds of all electrical loads being A.C. motor loads, maintenance of the proper voltage to that motor is very important. If the supply line voltage is not maintained, motor winding current is increased causing reduced motor torque and escalating motor temperature, all of which results in the rapid loss of insulation life expectancy. Anytime you have a lower than standard voltage, equipment damage and failure can result.
Buck-boost transformers are an economical way to correct this potentially very serious problem. Anytime a line voltage change inthe 5-20% range is required, a buck-boost transformer should be considered as your first line of defense.
CAUSES OF VOLTAGE MISMATCH
- Service voltage changes after equipment is installed
- Voltage drop in power line
- Error in equipment ordering
- Utility cutback in source voltage
SIGNS OF VOLTAGE MISMATCHES
- Overheating motors
- Premature motor failures
- Equipment not working due to low torque of motors
- Nuisance tripping breakers
- Long distance service runs
- Improper, erratic, or no operation of equipment
- Increase in energy costs